Top Home Remedies To Keep Your Summer Pest Free
WE LIVE IN THE FOREST! That means that there are bugs! Now that doesn't mean that they are welcome on our decks, in our homes or buzzing around our heads! Here are some great natural, organic home remedies that will keep the bugs out so you can sit back and soak up the sun here on the Russian River.
Ants Be Gone
Ants are by far the most annoying of all of the pests that tend to hang around the Russian River. Here are a few suggestions on how to get rid of them naturally without harmful chemicals that could damage the forest.
1. Ants have a natural aversion to cucumber, mint and cloves...place bitter cucumber slices, crushed mint leaves or clove powder near the point of entry and they will keep their distance from your home.
2. Mix 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup sugar and place at various intervals around your home. Ants cannot separate the sugar from the baking soda and will bring it all back to their ant hill, however baking soda is deadly to these guys!
3. For long term removal and repellent spread diatomaceous earth around your home. This substance is non-toxic and is safe to use with children and pets.
Shoo Fly Go Away
Flies are incredibly annoying when you are trying to have a picnic, relax on the deck or play in the pool. You don't have to put up with them though! Here are some natural non-toxic ways to rid you of these pests.
- Pure Eucalyptus oil drops on an absorbent cloth laid out around your picnic area or on your deck will act as a repellent to any flies buzzing around.
- Open containers of sweet basil and clover should be placed next to pet food dishes to keep the flies away.
- Hang satchets of crushed Bay Leaves, Cloves and Eucalyptus in doorways and next to windows to keep the flies out of the house.
Mosquitos are THE WORST! They bite, they leave big itchy bumps and the are totally irritating. The best way to get rid of mosquitos is to "remove any standing water" professionals say. We live near a giant body of water! Not only that but many people have pets with water dishes, bird baths and other forms of standing water that cannot be removed. Here are some helpful tips on how to stay naturally mosquito free this summer!
1. Keep mosquitos off your deck and out of your yard with citronella beeswax and soy candles. Place them where there is less of a breeze aka low to the floor/deck.
2. Garlic oil (stinky I know) mixed one part to 5 parts water in a spray bottle will keep them off your body and out of your home, while strips of cloth saturated with the same compound and placed around a specific area will keep them away from that area for 4-6 hours.
3. Neem Oil is natural and contains sallanin which is a natural mosquito repellent.
Information for this blog courtesy of eartheasy.com